As of July 1, 2011, Senate Bill 602 requires, every Los Angeles California food handler who is involved in the preparation, storage or service of food in a food facility has to take a California state-certified food handler course and pass an authorized test.
SB 303 bill made technical changes to the Food Handler Card Law requiring training providers to be accredited through the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). Food Handlers – As defined in Section 113790 of California Retail Food Code – CalCode:
- 113790. (a) “Food handler” means an individual who is involved in the preparation, storage, or service of food in a food facility, as defined in subdivision (b), other than an individual holding a valid food safety certificate issued pursuant to Section 113947.3 or an individual involved in the preparation, storage, or service of food in a temporary food facility, as defined in Section 113930.
- Learn about foodborne pathogens, cross contamination, cold and hot food safety, and best practices to prevent foodborne illness.
- Food Manager ANSI Certification: $99.00
- Food Handler ANSI Training: Only $7.00!
- HACCP Training 16hr/4hr/1hr
- 10% OFF: Promo "TRAIN10OFF" at Checkout
Los Angeles – California Certified Food Manager State Requirements
Under California Health and Safety Code §113947, all Los Angeles food facilities that prepare, handle, or serve unpackaged foods are required to have at least one Certified Food Manager (CFM). This means a person-in-charge, an owner, or employee of a food establishment – must be a Certified Food Manager (CFM) by successfully passing an ANSI-accredited food manager certification exam. California Health and Safety Code §113947:
- (a) Food facilities that prepare, handle, or serve non-prepackaged potentially hazardous food, except temporary food facilities, shall have an owner or employee who has successfully passed an approved and accredited food safety certification examination…
- Los Angeles – California Food Safety Manager Course: Price: $85.00
- Curso de Principios de Administración de Seguridad de Alimentos: Price: $85.00
- Los Angeles – California Food Manager ANSI Certification Exam: Price: $55.00
- Los Angeles – California Food Manager Course & ANSI Exam: Package Price: $99.00
Los Angeles Establishments Requiring Food Safety Training
Types of Los Angeles food establishments that California regulates includes:
- Restaurants, Delis, and Cafes
- Food carts, Food trucks, and Food trailers
- Cafeterias (that are open to the public)
- Concession stands, Temporary food booths at events and festivals
- Convenience stores that serve food
- Nursing homes, Licensed day care homes and facilities, Hospitals, Schools, and Long-term care facilities
- Various other businesses and organizations that engage in food preparation
and food service
Examples of Los Angeles, California food service employees required to obtain a Food Safety Training include: chefs, cooks, food handlers, mobile food vendors, bartenders, hosts and hostesses that handle food, caterers, supervisors and food managers.